Summer is here, and with it comes a whole load of heatwaves! While warm weather means more beach time and barbeques, it can also lead us astray when it comes to health and fitness. When the weather becomes too hot and we don’t take care of our bodies, we can become sluggish, dizzy, and even physically sick. However, it’s possible to stay healthy in the summer heat without overdoing it and potentially causing yourself harm. Take a look at our top five simple and easy tips for staying healthy and enjoying your summer to the fullest.
1. Stay Hydrated. This is the most important part of summer, and you need to make sure you’re getting enough water when the weather is hot. Most of your body is water, and the more you sweat, the more moisture your body loses. Additionally, it can also reduce your energy levels and electrolytes, so keep the water bottle at hand and keep sipping over the course of the day. Doctors recommend eight 8-ounce glasses of water (or around 2 liters), but you may need even more in sweltering heat.
2. Stay Inside. In hot countries like Spain, it’s very normal for everything to shut in the afternoon when the temperature is at its hottest, only to reopen in the evening when things start to cool down again – even having dinner late at night. It’s a good way to be, and when a heatwave hits, you shouldn’t spend too much time outside – especially exercising.
3. Eat Light. If there is one thing the heat can do well, it’s to massively reduce our appetites. However, you cannot deprive your body of nutrients, and so it’s important for you to remember to eat. Make sure that you have a few small, light meals every day, as heavy ones can lead to you feeling sluggish and unwell. If you’re still feeling foggy, you can also try nootropic supplements as these can offer the right nutrients to keep you alert and energized.
4. Don’t Do Too Much. Exercise is a killer in hot weather, and this is not an exaggeration of any kind! If you do too much when the sun is at its highest, you are more likely to overexert yourself and cause illness as well as dizziness and fatigue. It can also lead to rapid dehydration. If you want to stick to your fitness routine, keep to the early mornings and late evenings.
5. Keep Clothing Loose. Loose cotton clothing is the best to wear during hot weather, and this is because it’s a very light and breathable material that won’t cause you to sweat massively and will ensure that the air gets properly circulated. Put your synthetic materials away until the winter and stick with cotton as much as you can when the weather is really hot and humid.
To Conclude. We hope this has given you some good insight into the ways in which you can stay healthy during the hot weather – all without causing yourself harm or illness. Just make sure to eat light, drink enough water, and keep things calm during the day, and you will be absolutely fine. Summer is here for you to enjoy, so go out and have fun in the sun responsibly!